Saturday, December 31, 2011

Coconut Macaroons

My family loves coconut. I, on the other hand, am not much of a fan. But since my entire family is gathering at my house for this New Year's Eve, I knew I had to make something that was so good they would devour whole. That's when I decided to makes these cute coconut macaroons. And they're so simple to make that I didn't need to hog the kitchen.

Ingredients
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup flour
14 oz flaked coconut
1/4 tsp salt
6 oz dark chocolate
almonds, chopped and toasted

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line the cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Stir the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and almond extract. Then add the flour, coconut, and salt and mix until well blended. Using a spoon, scoop the dough into golf ball sizes onto the parchment paper. Wet your hands and round out each ball. 
3. Bake for 15-18 minutes until coconut is toasted. Let the cookies cool.
4. Melt the dark chocolate in a double broiler or microwave. Drizzle the chocolate over the cookies using a butter knife. Immediately sprinkle the toasted almonds. Let the chocolate set before serving. 

By the time the last few cookies were left, my aunts started fighting over these little coconut delights. I had to promise them I'll make these again very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment