Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wrap Bracelet

When I was in elementary school, hair wraps were all the rage. I'm pretty sure they're a thing of the past now, but I wanted to use the same concept to make a bracelet just as colorful as I remembered. I thought of the idea when I saw how expensive bracelets were when I was shopping and some of them were made of the same materials that I had lying around in my house. Perhaps the ones in the stores are more elaborate, requiring all sorts of complicated knots, but this wrap bracelet is so easy to make and just as cute!
Materials
Hemp string, about 48 inches
Colored strings, about 240 inches in total
Small button
Scissors
Ruler

Directions
1. Cut 2 pieces of hemp string, about 24 inches long each. Fold the strings in half and insert them into the 4 holes of the button, making a crisscross pattern. Tie a knot to secure the button in place.

2. Roughly 240 inches of colored string can wrap a 6 inch bracelet. If you wanted a bracelet with multiple colors, divvy up the measurement accordingly. Just to give you an idea, half of the bracelet I made was covered in blue string, and I used about 110 inches of blue string and left an additional 10 inches as a buffer. Folding the strings in half, tie a knot right next to the hemp string knot.  

3. Wrap the bracelet with the desired color, occasionally pushing the wrapped strings toward the button end to tighten.

4. When finished wrapping, tie a knot at the end. Then take the hemp strings and make a loop. Wrap the colored strings around the base of the loop and tie two more tight knots. Cut the excess strings.

No comments:

Post a Comment